Which word connects these five sentences?
- The world of baseball went wild in the spring of 1974 when Hank Aaron broke Babe Ruth’s home run record.
- It was at the height of the hurricane when three men and a woman, crewing the Coast Guard Sikorsky Jayhawk helicopter, took off hoping to home in on the radio distress beacon that had been deployed by the stricken cargo ship.
- There were no signs of trouble the day that newlyweds, Mary and Allen moved into their new home.
- Almost everyone knows that in sports, the home team enjoys an advantage but nobody knows exactly why.
- China prices its car exports far lower than they do at home.
In each sentence, the word “home” has a slightly different meaning but with a little thought one can see how these five different applications might be connected. But there is little point in the exercise.